Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArcServe 11.5 and Dell PowerVault 124T Tape Library doesn't run backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff275

Technical User
Jan 31, 2006
US
I am running ArcServe 11.5 SP3 on A Dell PowerEdge 2950 Running Windows Server 2003 64 bit Edition SP2. Our Tape Library is a Dell PowerVault 124T. Up until about a month and a half ago, everything ran fine. But then it started to not back up,in a seemingly random fashion. The backup would say the next time it was going to run was yesterday, for example, but it just wouldn't run. It wouldn't run after that either, unless you stopped and started all the engines. As soon as you did that, it would start up the daily backup that it hadn't run the night before. It doesn't give any errors, it just seems random. My hunch is that it's the tape library, but I don't have any reason for that, other than that it has acted weird before. Any ideas? I've set up the backup all over again, but that didn't help.

-Jeff

Did you install the Post Sp3 fix for additional 64-bits platform support ??

regards

I can't tell you for sure, but I am going to guess no. I'm unclear as to why something like that would matter since it had been working fine for months. In fact that's part of the reason why we don't really like installing anything new, since it seems to be flaky enough as it is. If it works now, just let it keep working. The build is 4402, by the way. I don't know if the hotfix is supposed to change that or not. I couldn't fins any reference online. In fact I didn't even see the hotfix online. One of the many reasons why I don't really like ArcServe.

-Jeff

We are on build 4406. So there are patches out there for you. Whether they fix your issue, who knows.

One quirk is to make sure you change the run dates of held jobs before restarting engines or changing jobs to ready. Backups kicking off in the middle of the day tend not to be good things here.

Strange that there is no message at all.

Make sure the tape device is disabled from within the OS Device Manager.

Instead of restarting all the services try restarting them one at a time and in this way it might be possible to narrow it down to one specific engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back