Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Archiving to Another Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

caper1175

MIS
Sep 23, 2003
US
Hi all: I'm fairly new to SQL so please bear with me. I have a table in a database with 2.5 years worth of records. I've made a copy of the original table with no data. I would like to create a DTS package that I could schedule once a week to move data from table1 to table2 where records are older than 6 months. So in the end all I would be left with is 6 months data in table1. Could somebody help me out with this?

There is a data item called StartTime so I do know when the records were created. It is a Date/Time stamp.

when you say date/time stamp, do you mean a timestamp or a datetime value?

a timestamp doesn't reflect the time at all...

Personally I would just write a stored procedure which does this and setup a job to run the sproc whenever necessary.

Seems a bit simple to need to involve dts (although I've never liked dts, and the new ssis is even worse, so I could be a bit biased here...)

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back