Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Archiving in access

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyimpala

Programmer
Dec 19, 2003
US
I need to run a query that takes specified records from a table and archive them to a folder or another table for later use and then erase the records from my main table. does anyone know how that is done. THX.

This can be done in two steps. First you'd append the relevant records to your archive table and second, delete the appended records from your main table.
A few questions though- how many records are we talking about in each group- both the archive table and the main table?
Also, what criteria would you want to use to move the records from the main table to the archive table?

H

Thank you verymuch for you help, and to answer your questions. It would probably be about 200 records to archive and the criteria is by date. so it is a month to month append. Would I have to create a query that ran every month.

To select the records for archive and delete queries on the main table use <Now()-30 as the criteria on the date.

Eddie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back