Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Archiving Files older then ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2002
BE
Hi,

I need to archive all files older then 1 year on a file server. Problem is that the directory structure isn't well organized so I was wondering, there must be a tool that can do this for me.
I know that there is a tool in the resource kit called Visual File Information, but it uses lots a memory and crashes from time to time.
Any suggestions? Thx,

Sense

Hi Sense,

If a mere listing of the files over 1 year old would be useful for whatever archiving utility you are using, then why not try the GNU utility "find" (just like the one in Unix)?

You can download native-Win32-compiled versions of the GNU utilities at

Once you have the zip-file unpacked, you can rename the "find" utility to something like "gfind" (so it won't conflict with the find command supplied with Windows), copy it to somewhere in your %PATH%, then
* cd to the directory under which you want files to be archived
* do "gfind . -mtime +365"
to get a listing of the files older than a year.

I don't think you can supply from an external source a list of files to NTBACKUP to backup, so you'd probably have to use some other utility for backing up such files for an archive.

Hope this helped. -Dave

Use Robocopy.
it has a switch
/MINAGE:n : MINimum file AGE - exclude files newer than n days/date
(If n < 1900 then n = n days, else n = YYYYMMDD date).

This way you can copy all your info as well as directory structure for all information from a year ago. Once you are satisfied you have all the information copied to an archive folder/location you can maybe (i havn't tested this) use the /MOV option to delete all the files from the original location.

If folder paths are not important and you just want a backup of all data from a year back, use the Search from the Start menu and specify a date modified from some date a few years ago to a year ago. Search in your companay data folder of course. You will get a list of all the files you need to archive and can just cut and paste it into an archive folder.

Just some ideas to help you get started.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back