Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

archiving e-mail proxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpibb

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2002
US
My organization is currently using winproxy (on a Windows machine) :( to share internet access, including access to our ISP's email server. However, we will soon be required by state law to capture and store all emails that are sent and received. I am wondering if there is a software solution for Linux that could fill this need. We do not wish to run our own mail server on the Internet, but we would be willing to set up a "private" mail server within our network that just relays mail to our ISP. Is there something that could just sit between our proxy server and the rest of our network and just "catch" the email as it goes through? We already are using a Redhat 7.3 server to share files and provide domain authenticaion. Any suggestions?

mrpibb

i haven't heard of a way to capture outgoing e-mail on Linux, but u can tweak the SMTP server to deliver a copy of each e-mail to a box and the user as it comes in...

the way i've seen it done is with a Windows SMTP relay server called MDaemon. MDaemon is an SMTP and POP3 server, but it doesn't send e-mail on its own, it needs to send e-mail to a relay host, which will then send the e-mail... however, MDaemon can capture incoming and outgoing e-mail.... u could try looking at that....

i can't help u with configs, as i don't run Windows, but it should be easy..

good luck..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back