Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

archiving data from one schema to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpimental

Programmer
Jul 23, 2002
US
All, I am using Oracle 11g and Toad and I am planning a migration of data from one schema to another.
The data is order data that is old and we want to archive the data to another schema.

Copying the data is easy enough. But, planning the removal of the data from the current production schema, that's another matter.

There are some 15 different tables involved with various dependancies.
Is there a tool / method that can be used to determine the order in which records are deleted or is the common practice to disable the keys until after the deletions are finished?

David Pimental
(US, Oh)

Just curious, Is there a pressing reason to remove the old data. For reporting and data analysis it nice to have the older data and oracle certainly doesn't care. With proper indexing and/or partitioning accessing a billion records is as fast as accessing a 100.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Well, the biggest problem is that at least some of the data will be replaced.
We add Institutional Records to our database and every 6 months to a year we get the latest update from a 3rd party.
So, we need to wipe out records that we haven't used and load the new batch.

I hope that answers your question.

dpimental

David Pimental
(US, Oh)

The best way to deal with such requirements would be to partition the table(s).
If you store each partition in their own tablespace, you can then easily detach the tablespace using transportable tablespaces method and attach to a "reporting" instance (db).
[noevil]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back