Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Archive Python Drive and Write Protection!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjung29

MIS
Jan 9, 2003
US
I'm running NT4 SP6a on Dell Poweredge 2400 with a DDS3 tape drive and Arcserve 6.61 build(834 i think). Well the DDS3 drive failed So we ordered a new drive from Dell (server out of warranty), but they didn't have any DDS3's anymore so we ordered a new DDS4 (Seagte Archive Python). Installed the DDS4 drive and it is recognized by Arcserve. We run a backup it runs fine and ejects. We run another backup but any tape we put in(New, Used, Cleaning, DDS3 or DDS4) it shoots it right back out. So we figure OK bad drive call Dell send a replacement for the one we ordered. The other drive comes out, we put it in, run a backup, using new tapes again. It starts a backup but then gives media errors. So we then eject tape put another one in, this time tapes stay in but now any tape (New, Used, DDS3, or DDS4) says it is write protected (even though they aren't) device manager shows as Blank Tapes (but I can't format or erase them). I figure it could be an Arcserve issue so I install the NT drivers for the drive and use the NT4 Backup program, this sees tape as Blank but when I try to format/erase a tape from there it also tells me it is write protected. We went thur a couple of different tape drives and software but things seem to be acting really strange so I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions to try. Thanks in advance for any replies.

The best way to know the source of the problem is to stop all Arcserve services and try NTBackup.

also Arcserve uses own driver to communicate with tape drive so the best is to disable NT driver and try the backup

The application can not read a tape, all it can do is issue a SCSI command for the drive to read the tape. So what gets reported is what the drive reports. You took the extra steps of installing NT Backup with the same results. Nothing left to do but get back to Dell. Ask the tech to personally check the drive prior to it being sent out to you.

Make sure that you are using Seagate Tapes with the Seagate Drive. We purchased a Seagate Autoloader DDS4 a while back and had a very similiar issue. We even replaced the drive once only to have the same issue and finally narrowed it down to using non-seagate tapes. The seagate tapes have some sort of built in "media recognition system" that others do not.(so much for the "dds-4 standard"). Also Seagate has a diagnostic utility you can download and test the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back