Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

archive log file

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabiozaino

Programmer
Oct 3, 2002
IT
Hi,
i have this problem:

My database is in archive log mode and some day ago they have been generated 15 files of archive log in one day. now i would like know what has happned and i would open the file generated. How can i see what is there written? the file have extension .dbf

thank you Fabio

archive logs are a copy of your redo log. I know you can use log-miner to look at the content of online redo logs, but I haven't tried it on the archive logs. They are basically used to recover your db to a point in time.

Hi, What has happend is what is supposed to happen when running in archivelog mode...You need to monitor the use of disk space so that the disk does not fill up..If that happens, Oracle will 'hang'...

Most folks move those files to another location on a regular basis and, after your next complete backup, you can delete them from that location as they will no longer be needed ( assuming your backup works )...

Read up on the behavior in archivelog mode in your Oracle docs..

[profile]

thank you
Fabio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back