Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Archive ex-employee Outlook - import to another employee 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

michigan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2001
Outlook 2007, WinXP Desktops, Exchange 2003sp2

I'm trying to figure out how to first archive an ex-employee's Outlook to a .pst file, burn to disk, then (if need be) be able to import some or all of those archived email to a current employees mailbox.

The ex-employee's mailbox is still on the server, however her original PC has been cleaned, reassigned and no longer has her profile. I thought I would simply activate the ex-account and log in to create the archive. I started getting lots of dll errors while attempting to open Outlook. (my account opens Outlook just fine)

Other then going through a retention policy, is there an easy way of doing this that I'm overlooking?
Thank you.

Michigan,
Best suggestion that I can think of is giving someone you trust full access rights to the ex-mailbox in AD (under Exchange Advanced tab, Mailbox rights. Make sure that "Hide from Exchange address lists" is unchecked or you won't be able to resolve the user.
Then having them do the pull (or you could do it yourself) by opening the other user's folder in your e-mail account.
Tools->E-Mail accounts
Then Click next, More settings, Advanced,
Then add their mailbox to the list to be opened by Outlook.

Simplest way I can think of without trying to totally resurrect the account

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

Star for Pat! I forgot about that function, not having ever used it. My way will work too, but this is so much easier (if you have access to the exchange console....)

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

cckens and 58sniper -
Thank you both. Exactly what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back