Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Archive E-Mails

Status
Not open for further replies.

ff18wife

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
US
In Outlook 2000, is there a way to externally back up/save e-mails? Trying to do clean up and archive old e-mails not ready to discard.
Thanks! B-)

Sure. In Outlook, go to the menu File/Import and Export.

Select "Export to a file". Choose an output format (.pst is probably the easiest to use), then tell it what you want to export.

If you are trying to get old emails to archive, you'll want to create a filter that will select only those older emails you want.

sleipnir214 -
thank you for your response. that was just the answer I was looking for.

on the same subject, what is the best way to back up all personal folders in Outlook Express? I may have to do a full system recovery and do not want to loose my saved e-mails.

I am running Windows XP (Outlook Express 6) and when I create stationery for OE everytime I send it there is a message that says there is one or more pictures missing and will not be included if I send it and do I want to send it anyway...I always say YES because NOTHING IS missing! It is so agravating. I have checked the SOURCE CODE over and over and I can see no reason for the error. I have made the backgrounds and then set the margins and added music and created .exe files to install it to a folder in the MS Stationery folder. I have also tried it without the extra folder and nothing is any different so that is not the problem. It operates and looks perfectly in every other way EXCEPT for that error. It just bugs me that I cannot figure it out and resolve it. If someone has any idea I would be most appreciative! Thanks! im2dtailed :)

to ff18wife...I am sorry I posted my question here...It was my first time to post one and I evidently did it in the wrong place! No wonder I could not find it when I looked!
Anyway, about saving folders in Outlook Express, In previous versions of OE I saved the folders and tried to restore them but it did not work, even though I followed the instructions on how to do it. I now keep my OE folders on a second hard drive so if anything happens I will not lose them. You can go into the TOOLS> OPTIONS> and click on the MAINTENANCE tab and click on the button that says STORE FOLDERS and tell it where to store them. If you do not have a second hard drive you can partition a section of your hard drive and it will act like a second hard drive and store them there. Other than that save the email individually onto disks. Floppy disks take forever but are better than nothing. You can burn them onto CD's if you have the ability to do so. I am sorry if this was not helpful. It would maybe even pay you to get a second hard drive to use only for archiving. That is what I do. It can be added before you have to format and move anything there that you do not want to lose. Hope this helps a little. im2dtailed

im2dtailed-
not a problem in posting your message here - unfortunately I couldn't not even begin to suggest a fix for the problem you are having.
I will have to back up my e-mail files to disk as I also am unable to access my cd burner and scanner.
thanks for your response.

WOW! Sounds like a reformat is in order. I hope you get your issues resolved. There is a possibility of saving it online, too. I think iDrive lets you store up to 50 MB stuff on their site. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back