Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arc Serve Disappears from taskbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryRumson

Technical User
Jan 23, 2002
US
I have been running arc serve for a few months. Lately I have noticed that after I minimize Arc Serve to the task bar it disapperas after about an hour or two. I have to reclick on the icon and open it back up. Are their any settings that a causing this. This has never happened before and it is a little annoying. Any info??

You know, now that you mention it, I have noticed that the ARCserve manager is a little flaky at times. I'm running ARCserve 7 for Netware.

1. The manager is twitchy, sometimes I have to wait until "something" finishes up while working in the AS Manager before I can move on.

2. When I'm in the Activity Log (in Job Status), I'll be trying to scroll up the log when suddenly the hour glass appears for the cursor and it jumps all the way to the end of the log. Sometimes this happens for 5 to 10 minutes before it "lets go" and I have control.

3. When I format a tape, sometimes the AS Manager program just closes itself when the format task is finished.

So, this is to let you know that you're not alone with AS Manager problems. I have tried using TCP/IP with it and also IPX/SPX. Not much difference with either protocol.

I've generally been focused on the priority of making sure I have real restorable backups. The inconvenient glitchy stuff will be dealt with later, but it's good to get some awareness out there.

Yeah it seems like only after I do something i.e. run a backup job, format a tape does Arcserve close itself and then I have to reopen it. I'm running it on a W2k server with exchange 2K. Also I'm worried if Arc serve closes itself and say I take the day off would the back-up jobs still run or does it always have to be open?

The Arcserve Manager program does not need to be open for backup/maintenance jobs to operate, the jobs will still run as long as all the required arcserve services are up and running.

Well thats good to know about the jobs. However every morning I change tapes and I have to reopen the program after I had the menus all set up from the previous day. I've noticed it's been acting like this since I put on SP4 to most recent release. Maybe it is just a coincidence with SP4.

Hey Gary, just a quick question, did you take both ARCserve and the exchange agent to sp4 level?

g

ARC ServeGuru-

I added the SP4 from 6/28/02. That is all I have added, I did not know I also have to add an exchange SP4. I also see other small fixes on the web site added 7/17 & 7/16 maybe I should add. Can you tell me which SP4 for exchange I should add? Also, what are Discovery and Message Engine services?

you need to apply the same sp4 on the exchange server and build of exchange agent will change to 450 after sp4..
Guru...am i right?
Thanks

What SP4 are you taking about? I'm confussed. I added the SP4 from 6/28/02 to our Arcserve which is also our exchange server and it says build 1100. I believe the MS SP is only up to 3 on exchange. Can you push me in the direction of what your talking about then if there is something else I need to add?

Oh, Well the sp4 from 6/28/02 is the service pack generic. Run this program on your exchange server and it should automatically detect you have the exchange agent installed and it will update it. May however require a reboot, well more than likely, all service pack 4 applications require a reboot.

And Chkpls... You are absolutely correct, the latest build is 450 for the exchange agent.

Hope this makes things clearer.

g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back