Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

arc files

Status
Not open for further replies.

m2001331

Technical User
May 29, 2002
MY
Hi there,
I have a db that is in archive log mode.I understand that this *.arc files are very useful in restoring the db should it crash. However it seems to be taking up quite a lot of disk space.I have used a script to gzip this *.arc files but still i have difficulties managing the space.I found that some of this *.arc.files were generated in year 2004.How can I know which *.arc files I should keep and what is safe to be removed from the system?
Can someone please advise me on what to do.
I have oracle9i on aix 4.3.
Thanks a million.

Generally speaking, you only need the archive logs generated since the last (verified) full backup of your system. However, in practice (at least as far as I'm concerned), it's safer to keep at least a week's archive logs available on disk (assuming you do a full backup each day). You can always archive the logs to tape and then delete them from disk so that they are available should you need them.

And one additional point, M, Ken's point about "...the last (verified) full backup of your system" is very important. The "...backup of your system..." absolutely must be an Oracle backup (either hot or cold), not just a "system" backup...a "system" backup alone (apart from the backups described below) does you no good at all when it comes to an Oracle recovery.

So, for your achive redo log files to be of value, you must either do a:

1) Cold Backup -- shut down the Oracle instance, then use some o/s copy statement to copy the database's files to a backup location.

2) Hot Backup -- Issue the command,
Code:
ALTER TABLESPACE <tablespace name> BEGIN BACKUP;
...then use some o/s copy statement to copy the database's files to a backup location.

I just wanted to confirm the concept of "full backup" to ensure proper integrity of files for use with the archive redo log files.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

Good point Dave, I was using 'system' generically. Perhaps 'database' would have been better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back