Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

arabic text with digits orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.

yahiadal

Programmer
Sep 19, 2006
US
Hi all
I have a problem when mixing arabic text in english text.
The is how to control text orientation of neutral characters like numeric digits,it normally follow current context direction of the previous entered charcters: if arabic then it goes right to left (RTL) otherwise left to right(LTR).
example:
yahya 123
يحيى 123
how ca I control the digits in the second example to be to the right of arabic text.
In the old days of dos and nafitha,there have been control spaces using right or left shift plus space which gave us control over text orientation.Is there any equivalent in vfp.
Thank you
Yahya

Hi
you mean when you write yahya in Arabic alphabet (like this...يحي) you want the numeric character that follows in to be in hindu Arabic like this( ٠ ١ ٢ ٣ ٤ ٥ ٦ ٧ ٨ ٩ )

Hi
In fact I want the digits to show up to the right of يحيى and not to it's left.Here the computer considers the disgits as if they are arabic letters and show them in right to left mode so they appears to the left of the arabic word.I want the computer to be forced to follow the left to right mode for digits after the arabic word.
Hope I am clearing my point.
Yahya

Yahya, Hi, what you trying to do is impossible. Once you press alt + shift and switch to Arabic the text direction becomes from right to left there is no way that the numbers will be posted to the right of the letter. Lets assume this could happen. what about the alphabets that comes after the numbers, is it in English or in Arabic and where you want it to be and how it's gonna be read?. Under DOS I used Nafitha and Mousaad Alarabi. That was old good days. I'll keep looking into the matter.

Hi
Under dos and nafitha we used control spaces :left control+space to force left to right orientation and right control+space to force right to left orientation.I am wondering if there is such controls under window.
thanx
Yahya

Couldn't you create a routine to simply reverse numeric values (even within a long text string), since they are surrounded by spaces. A little tricky but possible.
Even if they are hindu numbering, that can be detected by unicode value.

Best Regards,
Scott
ATS, CDCE, CTIA, CTDC

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

Thank you Mr. Scott.I'll see if it is possible in my case.
Yahya

I don't see any special "continue left" or "continue right" control characters in ANSI.

For arabic with VFP all you have is a) the arabic ANSI codepage 1256 and b) The RightToLeft property of controls.

Maybe you try with an editbox you set with EditBox.RightToLeft=.T. and see what happens from that alone, when you type in what you want to see. If you need to type in inverse word/number order then that may be your solution, as weird as it would be to type "123 number" to get "number 123" displayed.

Bye, Olaf.

thank you Mr. Olaf.I will continue trying to find a work around for my issue.

Yahya

I wonder if there are any third-party rich-text edit box ActiveX controls that might solve this problem. I don't know of any myself, but a few minutes doing some research might throw up some possibilities.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Yahya
I remember earlier I had a problem with FoxBASE and FoxPro under DOS when combine Arabic and English letters on the same line. the orientation of the text changes and so it did when displaying or printing the combined text. What I did was surrounding the English text next to the Arabic text with Arabic Parentheses or brackets before and after the English Text. And vice-versa if my orientation was in English and needed to add Arabic letters to it. It worked,.... Just a Thought.

Jamal A. Rahal

Hi JRP11
Sorry to say it don't work under windows.What you propose is the same as using english space and arabic space under dos and nafitha with no equivalent under windows.To remark that this problem don't exit when using MS word .
Yahya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back