Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aquiring Network Address 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirtyottsixx

Technical User
Aug 7, 2002
US
Something has gone ary on my wireless network. I am using a Linksys wireless router and cannot get to my router at 192.168.1.1. I reset the router to be certain that is the address and I'm still unable to get to it. I constantly get the message that my computers are Aquiring A Network Address. My IP Address and Subnet Mask both show as 0.0.0.0.

Under my Network Connections I show my Broadband Connection (that I've been using to bypass the router so I can get on the internet), 1394 Connection, and the Local Area Connection that is finding the address.

I think what might have happened is that I used my PPPoe sign on to my ISP and it created some problem between the configuration of my computer and my router, but without being able to get to the router, it's difficult to fix.

I don't know a lot about networking, but I hope someone can help! Thanks!

Hi
Assuming yuo can not even ping 192.168.1.1 then try assigning a static address to your nic card which is on the same address range. ie 192.168.1.5
The see if you can ping the router at 192.168.1.1 etc etc.
I suggest this because I think its not picking up a DHCP address as it should be.

Good luck

David

Start by pinging 127.0.0.1 and see if the nic is still good. (Might not be the router.) If you get a responls from 127.0.0.1 then move onto step two. Power down the router. Unplug it from the pc. Hold down the reset button while you plug the router back in. On the computer, type ipconfig /release at a dos prompt. Plug the router back into the computer and see if you can ping it. If you still can't then you need to contact teck support. (FYI, you may want to do a search in forum730 wireless data and devices, or forum581 TCP/IP. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
If you're from Northern Il, Southern Wi, feel free to join Tek-Tips in Chicago IL

set your ip statically, because sometimes if you can get the initial rquerments or you cant pick up the settings from dhcp, then you can alwes do it manualy. This works much better for wireless i may add. but keep trying things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back