Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aquiring Network Address problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdublu

Technical User
Jan 26, 2005
US
i have a wireless network with a linksys wrt54g router. my base station is running xp home and so is my wireless Toshiba laptop and my daughters wireless Compaq laptop. i went to the linksys Wirless-G broadband router website (192.168.1.1) and set up WPA-TKIP Personal encryption and assigned it a 12 digit WPA Shared Key.
My daughters new Compaq laptop works fine with these settings but my Toshiba laptop, in the "Choose a Wireless Network" program box says "Aquiring network address". it shows IP address 0.0.0.0 : Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0 : Assigned by DHCP : IPv6 Enabled : Access Point : Network:(my network name) : Encryption Disabled (why disabled when set to WPA-TKIP?-Is this a problem?) and Signal Strength Excellent.
How can I get the Toshiba to get an IP Address and all the other settings to work in encryption?
I also found my neighbors wireless network name shown in the "Choose a wireless Network" dialog box so when my network is set to "Disabled" for encryption they can see everything we have on our pc's if they want to. NOT GOOD!!
Thanks,Jim

I would try to update the drivers on your wireless on the Toshiba. I find that many times new drivers fix security issues with wireless.

Dan

Also make sure the toshiba is set to the same authentication method as the access point. Open or Shared key and retype the key itself.

more info on toshibalaptop please ...model no. wireless card?? etc

The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back