Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aprotectedpage.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrJorde

Technical User
Aug 20, 2001
US
How do I remove aprotectedpage.com from my new laptop? I made the mistake of downloading a video driver and this thing has taken over my computer. When I click on my homepage Icon I get their webpage instead. I change my Intenet Options back to my homepage and it immediatley goes back to its homepage. In the meantime it tries to make me download sofware to remove it for a price. Plus I am getting popups that look official that tells me my memory is running low and slowing doen my computer. Everysite I go to for removal wants money to remove it. How do I know they are not another hoax?

I have tried using my corporate Symantec software to fix it and nothing improves after doing a scan. I have tried using SpyBot, Registry Fix and CCleaner which all seemed to claim to have repaired something but none fixed this.

Unfortunateley, If I had not disabled My Corporate Firewall to download the sofware to begin with, this would not have happened.

My laptop is an HP DV9035 Duo Core 1.66GB, 2GB ROM. Running XP Media Center Edition.

Thanks in advance, you folks have always helped me in the past.

DrJorde
Webmaster

I think I managed to defeat the aprotectedpage.com from my computer. However, I still have AntiVermins warnings on my taskbar next to my clock. it keeps coming up and warning me about stuff slowing down my computer.

DrJorde
Webmaster

It sounds like you need to look at using Hijackthis to remove the process from startup, and maybe a process viewer to remove the process out of memory. Also when you try to clean something disconnect the computer from the network, as malware can download itself to refresh its other copies.

You can't adequately clean anything off your system unless you make sure whatever it is is not running at the time.

If it helps, it seems you have something called Zlob. It's a trojan that does a few nasty things. One of the fake things that it comes in on is something called "Antivermins". Hope that helps.

Post a hijack this log!

Member of ASAP Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

under the name khazars

DrJorde,
[tab]HiJackThis won't remove anything. It only lists what is running on your computer. Look at the FAQ in this forum for more info.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Hijackthis and that process viewer isn't for removing these things from your computer. All they're for is to try to determine if things are there, and maybe to try and get them so they don't load into memory when you boot your computer up so the other things such as Spybot can go ahead and clean them up. Like I said in the first post, often you can't really clean anything too well as long as it's running in memory - that's about the extent of what these tools do for you.

Thanks for all the advice. I used Prevx1 to clean up the offending software. They came highly recommended by a friend on another forum.
Spybot did help get other stuff cleaned out but missed this one.
Looks like you have to not only be careful but also have several tools to deal with todays cyber terrorists.
Of course it also helps to have all of you as well.
Thanks again!

DrJorde
Webmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back