Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Approach and SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrdoba

Technical User
Aug 13, 2002
GB
Anybody has any experience using SQL in Approach LotusScript? Can you tell me exact syntax how to join tables. I am accessing DB2 tables. Thanks!!

Create a query using the SQL Asst (File - Open/Edit SQL) and get the syntax from the SQL tab.

If you register at and login you can access the Approach - FAQs - Tips folder. See "Could not open table - scripted SQL query" for some background info. There is a lot of example code in the Approach discussion folders.

Paul Bent
Northwind IT Systems

Paul,
Thanks for your answer. It looks like a good idea. Did not quite work for me. It worked when I access local DBF dbs. However I need to work with server DBs. I need to access them through ODBC. What are the steps usign ODBC with "NEW SQL" in Approach?
Thanks for your next answer!!!
Andre

Makes no difference once the ODBC DSN has been created. When you add a table in the SQL Asst, select file type ODBC Data Sources instead of dBase IV then open the DSN. The SQL syntax is completely different from dBase but you can copy it just the same from the SQL tab.

Paul Bent
Northwind IT Systems

Using ApproachME at work to manage a database for a Computer Service Dept. A particular issue is when a new record is saved, if you immediately follow it with a print request, it prints the previous record. Always, without fail, yes. even then.
I'm a very technically adept user, but do not know databases, or approach. I'm asking for the general areas I should look in first. The likely causes.

Thanks for the time...

Ron Velotta
CNA, CCNA, MCP, A+, Net+

Doh, realized the "offtopicness" of my last post.
Sorry bout that.

I'll post it in the correct place, again, my bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back