Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Approach 98 Label Print from One Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalwell

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2007
US
I have a large database and some in-experienced typists. I am trying to make it easier for them to print a sheet of labels from one record of the database.
Typists type the address information into my form. Then before they print labels for only that one record they have to "DO a FIND" that record only to print a sheet of labels for just that one record.

How can I print a sheet of labels for only the record just entered? (Not the whole database).

By the way, will Approach 97 automatically print labels for each new record as it is entered?

Give them a macro (and a button) that automatically does the FIND for the user and switches to the label view. You could even set up the PRINT command to pop up with the number of labels pre-set.

Sue Sloan

Sue, is this something you can walk me thru or do I need to take a class on Macros? I have never written a macro before but this sounds like it would work for me

A macro is simply a series of commands with a name. The macro name can be attached to a button using the properties dialog for the button. The macro would consist of only a few commands, but there is some preparation required for this one.

1) Go to Field Definition and create a new field named VarID of type "variable" and of the same data type as your database's unique record ID (assuming you have one!)

2) In design mode on a view of the database (worksheet or form) add the VarID field and then put a valid value for a record into it. Also make sure the ID field for your database is on that view.

3) Make sure the Action Bar is visible (the one with the big buttons for Browse, Design, New record, Find).

4) In browse mode, do a FIND using the button on the Action bar, In the ID field enter the following: =@VarID

5) Then click the OK button on the action bar. You will see <Current Find/Sort> in the field on that bar. Type over that text with this: "Find Unique ID" and press Enter.

6) Save your Approach file.

7) You can now open the macro editor using the Edit menu. Create a new macro and name it "Find ID for Label".

8) Enter the following commands:
SET VarID to the database's ID field
VIEW switch to the form you did the FIND on.
FIND using named find "Find Unique ID".
VIEW switch to your label view
PRINT set up the print options here

It sounds more complicated than it really is.

Sue Sloan

Can you help me more with this problem? I tried to enter the Macro just as you said but it still is not working correclty. Is there some way I can send you my database soyou can look at it for me? Thanks for your help.

I am not accepting new projects currently. Perhaps next year!

Sue Sloan

I am still trying to solve this problem that I have been working on for several months. I can't get it to print a sheet of labels for only one record. Can you help by looking at my file? I have attached my database so you can see how I set up the macro. I think I set up the macro like you said but still can't get it to find only that one record and print it. I had a print button on the screen but when I pressed it; it would print everything in the database and not only the one record of the find. Please help.

You have it all set up correctly. When you run your macro, it prints the one label and then switches to a browse view of all records.

All you need to do is set the Number of Copies in your macro PRINT command to the number of labels you want to print for the one record. It will then print the page and again show you the browse view of all records.

Sue Sloan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back