Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying Multiple Header/Footer Saved settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temblor2

MIS
Sep 6, 2011
CH
I have a set of 20 or more saved Header and Footer settings that I need to apply to new PDF documents. Currently I have to go through the process Document > Header & Footer > Add > Add New > Select Saved Setting > Click OK. and then repeat 20 times.

This is not the most cumbersome process but I have to repeat it a lot of times when i re-create the document (especially during editing). Is there a way to select multiple saved settings and apply them to the document?

Incidentally, the reason I have many saved settings is because different Headers and Footers Apply to different page ranges.

Any help is much appreciated.

I forgot to mention - I used Adobe Acrobate Pro 9.

Are you able to create an empty document, except for the Header/Footer entries, and save that as a template, the use that template document when you create new ones in the same format ?

Fred Wagner

My 1st answer was based on thinking like I was in Publisher, rather than Acrobat. What app DO you use to create your content for Acrobat ?

Fred Wagner

Fred Wagner,
thanks for taking an interest in replying. i have a set of 10-20 separate pdf documents which i then combine into one pdf. I need to apply the header and footer settings to the new pdf document which is 50-60 pages long.

I hope that answers your question.

This is beginning to remind me of a city government setup - assembling documents from various departments into one Agenda for the City Council. If that's the case, you might solve your problem by using an application designed for the purpose - we've used one called Legistar for several years now.

Fred Wagner

Tremblor2,

I also have the same issue. Did you find a solution?

Hi Sgt Sparky,
Unfortunately I did not find a solution.

I guess they did not include this feature because setting specific page ranges for multiple header/footers would be complicate. The lack of this feature and others leaves me generally miffed by the value of Adobe Pro (given its price).

Temblor 2 - a question that you didn't answer - what application is creating the documents that you are combining into one PDF with multiple page ranges ? It might be possible to combine the documents with their separate paging setups before converting to Acrobat. The other possibility is that you should be using Pagemaker rather than Acrobat. Try posting in that forum and see if that product might be a better fit for what you need to do.

Fred Wagner

Temblor2 - another possibililty comes to mind -
create PDF's of your original documents, with their appropriate header/footer/page numbers, and create a PDF from each of those documents. Then in Acrobat, bring up each document, and save it as TIFF images. Do this for each of the source documents. then, using Acrobat Pro, create a document from multiple files, and bring in the TIFFs in the order they should appear in the final document. The images will come in with their page number and headre/footers intact. Save the whole thing as a PDF, and you're done. If it needs to be searchable, do the OCR text capture thing, and you've got it. BUT if you need to put in bookmarks and an index, that's another problem.

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back