Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying KB941569 prevents Media Player 7.1 from playing mp3's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncnc

MIS
Jan 3, 2008
US
I'm running Windows 2000 Professional SP4 with Windows Media Player 7.1. Microsoft issued a patch (see KB941569 ) last December to address a security vulnerability in Media Player. I determined that (known good) mp3 files no longer play after applying this patch; however, upon patch removal (add/remove programs applet), they play again.

Can anyone else out there confirm this (i.e., the same thing happening on your W2K SP4 MP7.1 when KB941569 is applied)?

I called the help number given on the patch update page, but basically I was told that Windows 2000 is no longer supported. Does anyone know a way that Microsoft can be apprised of this patch glitch so they may possibly correct it in a revised patch? Thank you.

P.S.: I "solved" the problem by updating to Windows Media Player 9 and then applying its needed patches, but I would like to see a fix for Media Player 7 made available.

Sorry to say that the answer they gave you is the truth. They aren't supporting W2K much any more and probably aren't too concerned with any patch mishaps. In fact, they want you off of XP as well to get you groovin' on Vista. I mourn the loss of the simple W2K interface and look too, but it's a dead horse, so time to bury it and move on.

RIP W2K.

Media player 7.1 wouldn't be supported by MS & they wouldn't give a monkey's about sorting out a patch for it. They would tell you to get your head out of the sand & upgrade. I think Windows 2K was & still is a good OS, even for MS. Once SP4 came out it was more stable. We still have some 2K machines & they work without a problem. I wouldn't say it is a dead horse yet. There is a bit of life left in it yet, but when it does die, install Linux on the hardware & get a bit more life out of the hardware at least.

Why not just get Media Player 9? It is the latest on that will work on 2K. 10 will only work on XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back