Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying identical free transform to second object? ...paths or...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerchol

Technical User
Jul 23, 2009
DE
Please excuse my lack of techinical knowledge, I am trying to learn my way through AI via trial & error since I don't have time to read a book or so.

I think I understand what paths/anchors are used for and how basic perspective transform works (holding cmd/control and perhaps option and/or shift). I have an object that has already been distorted via Free Transform so that the perspective is changed. I have a logo I would like to add onto the surface of the object.

My assumption is to use Free Distort again, but how to mimick the same distortions to the correct angles? I have experimented with grabbing corners of the bounding box and trying to snap them to corresponding anchor points of the background perspective shape...but it's not really working out.

What am I missing?

I've tried searching for perspective and free transform tool tutorials, but they mostly just show how to distort into a new perspective but not how to 'mimick' or align to an existing perspective.

Thanks!

...in your situation you need to distort the both the object and the logo at the same time, by selecting both and then using the free transform tool to distort...

...however, you have to ensure any text is converted to outlines (type>create outlines) otherwise the text won't distort...

...you can also use the "free distort" function (effect > distort & transform > free distort)...

...note that when "effects" are used they are "live" functions, meaning you can edit them further down the road of creation by using the appearance palette (window > appearance). In this palette your effects are listed, double click one and you are presented with the dialog again to make adjustments...

...the appearance palette is one of the most powerful functions in illustrator as it allows you to duplicate effects and build layer upon layer of effects (like offset paths (effect > offset paths) or fills on top of fills and strokes on top of strokes), you create more fills and strokes by either duplicating existing ones in the appearance palette or by choosing the flyout menu (top right of palette)...

...you also have to ensure that the logo is vector and not an imported bitmap graphic, as the free transform tool does not work on imported graphics...

...to distort imported graphics you have to have them embedded as part of the illustrator document...

...turning the link option "off" in the file > place dialog embeds imported graphics...

...you can also embed linked graphics using the links palette (window > links), selecting the graphic in the palette (or on the artboard) and choosing the flyout menu (top right of the links palette), the option to embed that selected graphic is found in that flyout menu list. You can also embed multiple selected images in one go if needed...

...to actually distort an embedded graphic your only options are by using the warp effects (effect > warp) or by using an envelope distort (object > envelope distort) by way of a mesh or by a top vector object (a vector shape above the objects/bitmap graphic you are going to distort, a triangle path for example)...

andrew

...forgot to add that using the free distort function in the effects menu on both objects at the same time provides different results whether they are grouped or ungrouped...

...in other words selecting both objects and using the group command (object > group) then applying an effect, will render the group differently to that of only selecting the two objects at the same time...

...as you can see there are many ways to distort objects and depending on the process used can require prep work before applying transformations (like embedding images, outlining text, or applying to "grouped" objects as opposed to ungrouped objects)...

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back