Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying Group Policy across two Domains in seperate forests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastwood357

Technical User
May 19, 2003
GB
Hello All.

We currently have two domains in seperate forests. Lets call them 2000 and 2003. Since this is what they are. The 2000 domain is split into 2 subnets 192.168.204 and 192.168.205

We have trust replication and all the usual stuff working ok. Users can log in at any machine no problems on any of the two domains they choose.

When a user logs into there PC in the 2000 domain, but selecting the 2003 domain in the drop down box, as long as the users ip address is in the 204 subnet it works fine. The GPO is applied.

Now, here's is the problem. When we test the user to login to a pc in the 2000 domain but selecting the 2003 domain, and machine is located on the 205 subnet. Policy does not apply.

I am trying to work out why. Windows event viewer will just give the following error:

Microsoft product: Windows Operating System Version: 5.2 Event Source: Userenv Event ID: 1030
Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine that describes the reason for this.

Does anyone have any idea? I have been going through MS technet with no luck.

How is DNS setup?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Markdmac

Our DNS is AD intergrated. If i go into DNS i can see both sites in the forward and the reverse lookup with no problems.

Great, but how are the NICs configured? Do they only list your internal DNS servers and no ISP servers?

Are your ISP DNS in the DNS Forwarders tab?

Do clients get only internal DNS pushed down by DHCP scope options?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back