Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
So, I'm trying to apply encryption to a few folders and files. I right click whatever and do properties, advanced and choose to encrypt content to secure data, and hit ok, then apply, and up pops "you will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes." Click continue to complete this operation, I hit continue and it keeps popping up and never applies encryption. I'm an admin on this machine, I'm not logged in as administrator though and don't want to be.

I also tried cipher /e c:\test and also get access denied there.

How's a guy suppose to encrypt things? I don't seriously have to log in as administrator every time I want to encrypt something do I?

I don't know for sure, but I think you will have to have a local profile on that machine with your account set to administrator before you can encrypt files.

BR,
David.

Which edition of Windows 7 are you using? Home versions do not have encryption.

Does your Standard user have the correct access permissions to both any file and parent folder that you wish to encrypt?

Can you encrypt a file or folder in that user's own folder?

If your Standard user creates a new folder in C: Drive can they encrypt that folder and move files into there which then become encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back