Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying Computer settings taking too long! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryoun1b

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2002
US
Hello,

I have an SBS 2003 environment where there are 3 XP Pro PC's. One of them is a T43 Lenovo Thinkpad which for some reason takes better part of 2 minutes during the boot into XP Pro on the "Applying Computer Settings" before it gives me the prompt to login.

When Booting into XP I enabled logging mode to see if I could find anything. I looked at the ntbtlog file in my C:/windows directory but did not see any clues to the slowdown.

We are using the default set of GPO's that come std in SBS 2003 server.

My other workstations do not take more than 15 seconds on the appying computer settings, so it seems to be isolated to this one workstation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

My thinkpad gets that way after I have been on the IBM site to upgrade....recommend you remove all the IBM (IMHO)spyware/malware...my thinkpad now boots into the net in 20 to 30 sec... you can also use several 3rd party programs to select what you want to run on BOOT. and disable them really easy...I think sysmechanic 5.5 is the best/fastest/easiest to use...

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

329457 - Computer Seems to Hang When You Log On

How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP (Q310560)

Slow Logon to Windows 2000 Domains
faq779-4017

Is this Group Policy coming into play?
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\ Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon

Also make sure any unused NICs (including wireless) are disabled - I had the exact same problem and that solved it!

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back