Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

apply style to excel spreadsheet column 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarryC

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2000
NZ
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how I apply a style to an excell column. ie currency to column A, percentage to column B etc.

Do you want to create a formatted Excel file, or automate a pre-existing one?

If your creating one, HTML is faster. See FAQ184-4704 for sample code.

If pre-existing, you can specify ranges and apply formats using via automation. See the code at the bottom of the FAQ and within the Excel automation add code like:

WITH .Range("A3:C5")
.WrapText = True
.Font.Bold = .T.
.NumberFormat ='#,##0.00'
ENDWITH

Brian

Thanks Brian, Actually need to both so I will have a go at html as well.

SET BRAINSTORMING ON

If you are sending data to the spreadsheet, and it has consistent format, open a blank spreadsheet and format it so it fits your nees (colunms, rows, datatypes, etc.) and then save it as a template.

Open this template, whether using VFP or another method, and send the data to it rather than a blank spreadsheet.

Remember, all documents are created in a template - even the standard document.

SET BRAINSTORMING OFF

Jim Osieczonek
Delta Business Group, LLC

Jim,

Writing an HTML file (even with formatting) is going to beat the pants off of sending (just) data to Excel.

Try my FAQ vs. sending the data to Excel via automation on a few thousand records and you'll see what I mean. And note the FAQ is demonsrating how to apply conditional formatting too.

The one performance hit is when Excel is opening and interpreting the HTML. In the files I create this way I've automated the open-and-save-as-Excel before .visible=.t.

And of course, Excel 2000 + is required to read load the resultant HTML files...

Brian

Sorry, Back Again.

Unfortunatley most of my users are still on Office 97. Still cant get the code to work

oSheet.Columns("A:Q").EntireColumn.AutoFit --Works OK
oSheet.Columns("A:B").Select --Works OK
osheet.Cells("A1:B100").NumberFormat = "$##,##0.00" --type mismatch
osheet.Selection.NumberFormat = '$##,##0.00' --Unknown name
oSheet.Cells.NumberFormat = "$##,##0.00" -- Entire sheet
oSheet.Selection.Style="Currency" --Unknown name

Any suggestion? Dosn't want to know about what is selected.

Try this,

oSheet.Range('A1:B100').NumberFormat = '$##,##0.00'

-- AirCon --

Thanks AirCon. That worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back