Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APPLOG

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOriginalSin

Programmer
Mar 8, 2003
GB
Yes - that horrid little File I/O logging sequence found in the %windir%\APPLOG folder can be gone if you follow this simple tip - which will also free your system up some resource and make it more stable;

Located and either;

-DELETE or
-Rename (if you're worried about deleting)

The file "FIOLOG.VXD".

NOTE: KERNEL32.DLL will still create the APPLOG folder - so download a patched kernel I made found at - Buu Kernel V1.2 is the best - although you'll need to be in MSDOS mode to copy it over the original one.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip,
But may I add that you could also simply un-tick 'TaskMonitor' in msconfig.
That will stop any entries being created in the first place, apart from that empty folder. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

I assume you're referring to the windows\task folder ?

The APPLOG folder is made by "KERNEL32.DLL", along with "APPLOG.IND" (Index) file.

By "Buu" kernel replacement is merely a bypass to the calls that create the folder, do the logging and indexing (4 in all if I remember correctly).

I also stripped out some unused relocation tables - just to reduce the size a bit.

This is actually part of an "on-going" thing i'm doing to "streamline" 98 down - you'd be suprised at whats hidden in some of them .DLL's ;)

No, the folder I refer to is the hidden 'APPLOG' folder.
By un-ticking 'TaskMonitor' in MSCONFIG (not to be confused with 'SchedulingAgent'), you can prevent the data being placed in there, but your patch seems to intercept the process at a much earlier stage. Nice.
I, too, like the idea of a more streamlined '98, as it is still my OS of choice, but as with so many MS products, it does seem to be, shall we say, bigger than it needs to be.......

I'll look out for any advances you make with great interest.
Keep up the good work!
Regards, Andy.
My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.