Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

application stops responding on SilverStream server 3.5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathis

Programmer
Oct 6, 2003
US
hellow,
i am having a crazy problem on the SilverStream server. the application on the SS server stops responding suddenly. I want to know how to monitor and find out if this is due to connections problem or something else. I also want to know if there is some solution which would avoid this situation of the application not starting in the browser.

any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance..

rgds

you're probably indeed plagued with database connections becoming blocked.
Check your deployment descriptors for your session timeout values, despite what some of the documentation says this is in minutes not seconds.

Fell into that trap once, costing us several days of major headaches until we by chance found it (when turning on loads of logging and seeing no sessions being terminated despite deliberately waiting the (we thought) set timeout intervals.

hello jwenting,

thanks for your reply. I had seen your earlier post where you mention about this problem you had with the session being in minutes instead of seconds and thereby sever hangs.
but here, I am not having jsp and am having only ss pages, business objects and ofcourse ejb.
I really wonder how we could monitor the serve for this being unresponsive.
and yeah, we are plannning to migrate to extend 4. are there any issues regarding extend 4 and ejb 1.1 spec as we have the current coding according to 1.1 spec which is supported in ss 3.5.3

rgds,
sanjay

hmm, about the only thing I can think of in that case is garbage collection or memory leaks.
Is something in your SS Pages and BOs creating a LOT of Objects which may not be properly disposed of?

Such things can be hard to track down yet slow the machine to a crawl (general Java, not just SilverStream).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back