Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

application role or at least connection properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlrthjoilihjw

Programmer
Apr 18, 2005
DE
hi,

I'm using RDC (CR9) in my VB6 applications to run reports against SQL Server 2000 database. Now I have to adapt all apps to run under sql server application role.

Question #1: is there any way to activate an application role for the database connection used by RDC? My database users have no permissions on tables, views, stored procs etc, only the application role does. How can I make it work with the application role? I've search the web, but it seems to be no solution for that :(

Question #2: my application role problem could be solved by using a generic database user in report connections, with all necessary permissions and a password hard coded in my application. But my views and stored procedures do need to know the real user id of the person working with the application. I can't pass this id as a report parameter for some reasons. I would like to specify this id in the connection string used by RDC, e.g. as the value of the Application Name connection property. But it doesn't work - in the sysprocesses table I still see my application name instead of my value. Is there any way to make RDC "understand" my efforts? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back