Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

application restriction

Status
Not open for further replies.

shipmate

MIS
Dec 3, 2001
US
I have 2 citrix servers used by about 30 users; I want to install Microsoft Office, but I only want 10 of those users to have access to the Office applications.

I though I would just setup system policies to restrict the other 20 users to access only certain applications.

I've added systray.exe, ntacmon.exe, loadwc.exe, but I still recieve 2 errors for programs that won't run. What are these apps that are trying to run? There's nothing in the startup folders of the profiles.

I know this is more of a NT system policy/terminal server question, but I don't know if there might be a Citrix specific solution. Is there an easier way of doing this?

Thanks for any advice

shipmate

Maybe you could publish the applications that you want the users to have and create a group for them. Make only this group have access to the app's. I've never installed office on Citrix so I'm not sure if this would help. Worth a try if you run published apps, but if you are running desktops, I'm not sure what would help you. Mike Brown CCA

By publishing the applications, you surely can restrict the access to the other 20 users. In case you are giving the entire desktop, the situation may be different.

Khushal

I would guess that the two apps that you get errors for are winlogon.exe and icabar.exe - although I'd expect csrss.exe in there as well. Add these to the list in your policy.

As a suggestion, why not make everything a published app - including the desktop.

Then you have complete control over which users or groups of users can run apps.

I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back