Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

application popup error upon bootup, help!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsmith123

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2006
US
I have been getting this error everythime i start up with my windows 2000 Server. I tried looking trough the Event Viewer for problems that could leed to the error like service that need to be disabled, but i could not find any that could leed to this problem. Nothing in the event viewer show an issue, all services startup OK, not red or yellow !.
How would i go by fixing this type of problem. Here is what the Error said in the Event Viewer:
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 20/05/2001
Time: 12:59:29 AM
User: N/A
Computer: th800
Description:
Application popup: Service Control Manager : At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for details.

Can anyone help me?

Device Manager shows no problems too.
Also, I tried removed all the programs that load at startup, turned services on and off
and that did not work.
The system works fine if I just hit OK on the error and then login, but it is just dame annoying to see that error everytime and being unable to find out why+fix it.

look in the event viewer and look for error messages (you will find the service that didn't start for sure in the event log)

If you've found the service, let us know so we can go one step further... Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

I was getting no error list in the event viewer.
Then is noticed that the Windows Management Instrumentation service was not on. After starting the service and rebooting I have 2 applications that failed:
1-

Event Type: Error
Event Source: FTPCtrs
Event ID: 1000
Date: 25/05/2001
Time: 12:18:29 PM
Description:
Unable to collect the FTP performance statistics. The error code returned by the service is data DWORD 0.
For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at:
2-

Event Type: Error
Event Source: IICInfoCtrs
Event ID: 1003
Time: 12:18:29 PM
Description:

Unable to query the IIS Info service performance data. The error code returned by the service is data DWORD 0.
For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at:
Does this help?

Yes it does
Remove IIS & related software,
install SP1 + reboot
reinstall IIS
install SP1 + reboot
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Now there are no errors in the event viewer and the error is still there at bootup right before loging in:
Application popup: Service Control Manager : At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for details.

There are no deivce errors and the event viewer has no sign of any issues.
What can it be?

Is there a way to reinstall 2k so that it replace and resets all services, yet keeps other installed programs functioning?

is everything working ?
If there is no problem, why would we try to fix it ?
Is all equipment/hardware in the server working ? Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

This error message was still coming up even though there were no failed services and no errors with any devices:

Event Source: Application Popup
Event ID: 26
Time: 5:59:29 PM
Description:

The event viewer showed me that everything started fine.
3 days of this is enough.
So, thanks for the effert, but after spending 4 days on an issue that cannot be fixed, I had enough. I reinstalled win 2k and it is fine again. I have the drive imaged, so a restore in the future will not be so bad.

Thanks all...

good choice Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back