Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application or SQL Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

niall5098

IS-IT--Management
Jun 2, 2005
IE
HI There,

i am dealing with an app vendor that is adement that the errors being recieved by users is sql server related. some details:

app user gets an error:

"Object variable or with block variable not set"

I immediately check the sql server error logs and server logs but no errors stand out so i forward to the app vendor, their reply is always that is is a N/W or sql server issue.

I initially thought maybe auto close was enabled but its not and i would not have though the keep alive would have been the issue as this is enabled on alot of server and they maintain connections.

has anyone ever dealt with a similar issue or how i maybe able to pinpoint where the connection is failing?

Thanks,

Niall

The first thing I would check is with the user...is the user entering all the proper data? It looks like some expected data isn't being entered.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

HI SQLBill,

Unfortunately the user is not very IT literate and has no idea of the app apart from doing their daily workload. the user works as normal but gets the error intermittently. when the error occurs she just closes the app, logs back in and resumes working.

Are you in charge of the network? Seems like the vendor is saying that a network issue can cause a problem too.

Although I must add that in a commercial product where they know that a connection failed, allowing that type of error to be sent instead of a useful one is a bit poor... I mean why aren't they trapping a failed connection and trying to reconnect?

Object variable or with block variable not set" is not a SQL Server error. This is almost certainly a .NET error. Whether this is caused by a query returning no rows, is another matter.

If the process the user goes through to get the error is not destructive, or can be replicated in QA, then you can set up a Profiler trace to monitor what the application is sending to the database. For yuks and grins, you can also add the User Error Message, and Exception classes, to see if the application is quietly swallowing errors along the way. You will want to get a "normal" run, as well as an error run, to make sure that you are not looking at pre-existing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back