Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application Objects in ConsoleOne and NWAdmin32

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdahoTech

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
US
Hello Everyone,

OK I have a interesting problem (to me anyway). I am installing a test server and have run into this problem every time I do a server.

When installing Novell 6, for some reason if I access the NWAdmin32 or ConsoleOne and want to make a Application Object there is none there. To get it installed I install Zenworks 2, then 3 then 3.2 then the patches. Once I install 2 they appear. Why? Shouldn't they be included with Novell itself? Is there a easier way to get them in without install after install of Zenworks.

The 3 Servers I had setup this way run fine, but there has to be a easier way to do it, right? This is something that has bugged me for a long time. Please help anyone on how to get them in without going through all that.

One other thing is does ConsoleOne support making printers? When I try to add them ConsoleOne tells me I cannot and if I continue that they may not work. OK, now if I read novells Documentation it states that once the schema is extended that I should NOT run NWAdmin32 anymore and only use console one.

How can I do this if I cannot create printers in ConsoleOne and only in NWadmin32?? Another to ponder.

Any and all help would be appreciated. This had been bugging me to the point now where I need to know if it is me or half me and half Novell.

Thanks

IdahoTech

1. No, ZENworks is not included with NW6. There was a ZENLite included with NW5.x, but Novell did not continue this with NW6.

2. You can start out by just installing ZEN3.2, there is no reason you need to install 2 and 3.

3. What kind of printers are you trying to create? To create NDPS printers, you can use iManager, a new feature in NW6.

The ZEN thing is just is, the print thing is half you half Novell, mostly Novell. It is a common issue people have, the managment tools are getting sloppy as Novell refines them and ports everything to webbased managment just when they get ConsoleOne to work right. I never heard a suggestion from Novell NOT to use NWAdmin with DS 8.6.x, I still use it for client that need queue based printing and find it easier to manage NDPS printers with. It just the only way for queue based printing, and the iManager can only use the Novell IPP gateway for NDPS. So if you want to use the Xerox, HP, or other DNSP gateways, you need to use NWAdmin.

Provogeek

Saving the world, one network at a time
[rofl][rofl]

Hey Provogeek,

Well the printers are HP printers. So for me to install the printers using NDPS for queuue based printing I need to use NWAdmin32.

I have seen in iManage that you can add printers through the web portal part. Seems kind of interesting and cool. Haven't tried it yet, but hopefully will in the future.

As for the Zen things. So you understand what I am asking that when I install Netware6 and there is no application object in the Object creation menu, that all I need to do is install Zenworks 3.2 and it will place that object in the list? OK will check it when I rebuild my test server. Poor thing, it will blow its top one of these days, or the hard drive will quit I have worked it to the bone.

Thanks for the info though. I agree the management tools are a little sloppy and they need to get it together quickly. I like the web based interface and all that they are tryin to do, but they should try to keep ConsoleOne up to date and working as a backup. Know what I mean :eek:)

I did however read that information somewhere either on Novells Documentation or on the site somewhere under help. It said that once you extend the schema to not use NWAdmin. I will see if I can find that and post it here for everyone. It kinda threw me for a loop when I read it. That would leave alot of things out in the cold if someone was trying to setup certain services on the server.

Anyway thanks again!!

IdahoTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back