Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application Object: Folder Shortcut

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2006
US
Good morning, all!

I have an application that I'd like to push out to our tech support group. All it does is to place a shortcut to a network folder on the desktop. I have it configured so that each time the user logs in, it puts the folder there, so that if they accidentally delete the shortcut, it is replaced the next time they log in.

Trouble is, there are two of us in the tech support group who regularly log in to other users' machines on the network, and we don't want to have to remember to delete the folder link before turning the machine back over to the user. In addition, when we're out and about we don't need access to the folder.

So the solution, I thought was to associate the application object with our workstation objects rather than the user objects. However, for some reason the application does not run at all when associated with the workstation and not the user.

Like I said, it's a very simple AO, all it does is put a .lnk file on the user's desktop (%userprofile%\Desktop). It works when associated with user objects but not with workstations.

Any ideas?

User space and workstation space, two different things.

You need to ensure that the workstation it's self has the rights to this network folder, not just the user. So try giving your workstation object rights to the nework folder.

You can also go into NALDiag, assuming you have ZfD6.5, if not, look up NAL easter Egg. NALDiag will be in the *%ProgramFiles%\Novell\ZENworks folder. It will tell you why the object is being filtered.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back