Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

application latency over satellite

Status
Not open for further replies.

victoria1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2004
GB
Does anyone have any performance data for applications such as SAP, BAAN, peoplesoft/JDEdwards running over satellite links, with and without tcp acceleration?

If you are using a home service such as DirecWay two-way with the DW6000, there is no way to remove the TCP acceleration. My experience is that ANY software requiring many send/reply segments experiences lag. To my knowledge, there is no way to remove TCP acceleration. (at least that's what I've been told by DW technical support guys) If anyone finds a way to remove it temporarily, I would also be interested in these results.

Thanks for the feedback. What I really looking for is some performance figures relating to SAP/Oracle/JDEdwards/Peoplesoft/BAAN when running over satellite. I assume it would not be useable without acceleration.

I have been able to remote desktop into one of the computers on my network from my home through the satellite. They claim you can even get reliable VPN over DW satellite. I would assume some of those applications would work if these will, but whether they will work well enough to be worth the trouble is debateable.

All,

We have a DirectWay 6000 system at a remote one man office. He is using this to connect to so we can use that to remotely connect to a machine inside our network that then accesses a client/server ERP system. But, it's really slow. In fact, a dial-up is faster. Our speed test on the 6000 is about 500 down or so and 60 up.

We have a DirecWay because there is no other choice of broadband connections that are cost effective.

We have a Symantec hardware VPN set up on at the corporate office and the remote office with the Direcway. It's slow, so we tried (a browser based solution) but it's still slow.

So, what are our options? Any type of tweaks or settings we can look at?

I tried Windows XP Remote Desktop on our VPN , but get a message saying it couldn't connect, but I can ping the PC from the satellite PC. Any ideas?

From all I have been told by DW personnel (which is not in any way the final word on the matter) one would have to have the "Professional grade" service they offer to use any type of vpn or remote desktop reliably. They claim they don't block any ports TCP or UDP, which I have found to be true as far as I can tell. The biggest problem is a result of their invisible proxy. There is no way around this that I am aware of. I have been told by a DW technician (although I claim the previous disclaimer concerning DW personnel as well as a pretty difficult language barrier between myself and the outsourced technicians they employ) that they actually have less IP addresses than customers, so a person's IP address changes on a regular basis. There also seems to be some huge latency issues within their NAT servers. I've been able to telnet into my DW6000 router, but the options there offer no hope of bypassing either choke-points. To telnet into a DW6000 use port 1953. This does come in handy when the modem locks up and needs to be reset. Just give it the command "rr" (minus quotes) and press enter. The router will reset itself without you having to physically go to the router itself and unplug it.
All in all, DW's offerings are pitiful and they make no effort to remedy the problem either. However, for your company and mine, they are the only option and they have to know that. At least download speed isn't too bad. I am able to get about 80kB/s download in real-world applications with (a) fast server(s). If you figure a way to rid yourself of some of the NAT/Proxy complications, I'd greatly appreciate the info. Meanwhile, I will be giving gotomypc a try.

Hope this helps,
-John

John,

Here is what we have found. All the same problems that you are running into, we have also.

We did download and use NetSupport. This improved our speed across our VPN 2X! So, it's doing something that PcAnywhere, LapLink, etc...are not doing.

I would not recommend using gotomypc.com over a satellite. It's bigtime slow, slower than a modem. Try out the NetSupport...

Give that a try...and thanks for the info on the DW6000. Let me know what you think of NetSupport.

Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back