Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application installation/update

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedo8816

Programmer
Oct 25, 2006
GB
Hi, Im using the package and deployment wizard to create my setup wizard for an application ive been writing. So far this program is becoming quite big, my problem is when i make an update to the program i have to un-install the program and re-install it to see the updates otherwise when i install it, it creates a duplicate installation on my computer.
My question is, how do i create an update package rather than a setup package?

Thanks in advance

>duplicate installation

Can you describe that?
If installations are made to the same target folder, later ones should just overwrite earlier ones.

yes i know what you mean but thats exactly what doesnt happen.
Im using windows xp, when i go to control panel and add/remove programs, the installation is duplicated over and over again. Ive had to un-install this several times to leave myself with just one.
When i have an update i have to un-install and then re-install the app.

My method of updates is for my app to check the date of creation of the version held on the server at start up. If it's different from the local version then it opens a batch file and closes itself down.

The batch file then copies the new version to the local machine, overwriting the original version, and then "starts" the new version.

Probably not particularly efficient, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back