Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application Error - The instruction at...

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Derry

Programmer
Apr 9, 2001
US
When trying to run a bespoke application I get the error message..

The instruction at 0x77e151e9 referenced memory at "0x00538c58". The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of "0xc000020c".

This happens on all machines.

Any ideas appreciated...

It looks like your application is attempting to make an unauthorised hardware call of some sort. Was it programmed in a Windows 2000 aware environment - ie one that makes the correct API calls for passing jobs to the hardware?

Filemon may help you track down what's happening, if you don't have a debug version of the software available. CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks for the quick response!

No it wasn't programmed in 2000. I'll take a look at using 'filemon'. Can I get this on the web? Is it pretty self-explanatory.

First the obvious - I suspect your programming environment of making dodgy calls on your behalf - you may or may not be able to do anything about this.

Filemon is available from - it's free and I would say self-explanatory. It's my first port of call when troubleshooting apps.

Quick explanation of what it does;

It logs every single file access that is made by the operating system and applications (including itself). The output log can be exported as a csv into an editor (I use Excel, so I can sort the data).

There are some other great tools on this site - most free. Maybe one of them is more suited to your issue.

I hope this helps. CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back