Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

application error on install

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerboy

MIS
Jan 17, 2006
US
ok here ithe situation. I have red alert installed on my computer. and tried to install Yuri's revenge. however when i try to install the program, it says it cannot download the patches and i should apply them with the exe file.
i then attemped to install yuri revenge again, however when i did that i got the following error message.

application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006)

then i uninstalled the orginal software (red alert 2) and allowed it to delete all the files. i was then able to reinstall Red Alert 2.
but still cannot install yuri revenge.

i am running windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates.
P4 2.6 processor 1 GB ram

Did you check the replies in your original post?

cannot install software receive errors
thread779-1198622

yups. i am administrator, wont install in safe mode either. cleaned out temp files and prefetch folder. ran the command line.

I haven't read all these but there may be some help in them?

Is it compatible with XP? Have you looked at these?

Type - Getting older programs to run on Windows XP - in the Help and Support program for the basics.

You can set compatibility mode for NT service pack 5. Setting this mode may work especially as XP is based more on NT than 9x Windows..

However not all old programs will work in XP no matter what compatibility mode you select. It does seem to be a matter of trial and error.

How to Use Windows Application Compatibility Mode.

i have the program installed at work, and my coworkers have it installed at home on their machines. for some reason my machine is being a pain about it.

Maybe there is some third party software installed on your machine, and not on those other machines, that is causing a conflict or problem. It might even be a Group Policy setting of yours?

Have you looked around in your Event Viewer for any clues?

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back