Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application Deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizzyb

Technical User
Jan 13, 2003
US
I am sys admin for about 80 W2k DELL workstations located in 5 states. So far, upgrades and application installs have been done manually, per procedures distributed by me, by local reps at each site. I have been able to script things like Hotfixes, but we are replacing older machines with new ones and I would like to find a way to automate the application installs and possibly modify the configuration of the OS without necessarily having to re-install the W2K Pro OS. Is this even feasible?
These machines are configured and on different networks that I will never have admin rights to. There is 1 server at each site which is also on the same networks with many other machines not under my control. I have Ghost licenses available. I have never used SYSPREP, but can it be used to do what I need without a complete over-write of the OS using Ghost? I am thinking in terms of future updates and configuration changes also. Thanks.

Couple of things...
You are saying you do not have any sort af administrative control over the remote networks. Does the include the workstaions ? You are going to have a lot of difficulties doing anything on a remote network if you do not have the rights..

Second, look at SMS, LANDesk or Mobile Automation. They are all able to give you the control you need.

Thanks for the response.
The server at each site is a database server accessed by our local workstations. All of our machines, including the server, are on a domain not owned by my company. This means they do not authenticate to my server but to the domain which I do not have admin rights to. Still, I am responsible for the OS, Apps and security updates of my machines. I was wondering if there was a way to accomplish this without having to have the workstation authenticate to my server.
I apoligize if this is confusing. These are certainly not ideal circumstances for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back