Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application Deployment & Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

djfrear

Programmer
Jul 11, 2007
GB
I am having trouble deploying an application written in .NET 3.5. The app is to run at startup and connects to a database server on the local network.

I have another app which does the same sort of thing (although doesn't run at startup) and it works flawlessly - but that is deployed using published file.

I was hoping to just be able to copy my compiled PE's to the main servers and allow people to run them at startup e.g. each user.

Unfortunately I am getting this error:

Code:
Request for the permission of type 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlClientPermission, System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyTokenb77a5c561932e089' failed.

Now I understand this is something to do with it not being in the GAC or not have a strong named key associated with it. I have tried associating a new key, adding it to the GAC (didnt allow me to add it) and read countless articles on MSDN and the web.

I think it's just me not getting my head around exactly why it's not running, I have tried setting it up so as it's signed with ClickOnce security settings as full rights - no go.

Is there *any* way I can get this program to run properly without using the publish wizard and deploying it every time it's run? It just isn't practical for a program which runs at startup.

Thanks for the help!

No I said I wasnt able to add the assembly to the GAC, I can run the gacutil no problem.

I was able to generate a strong name without issue. I have followed another article since posting which explains how to setup a new permissions entry for a particular strong name but when selecting my assembly it tells me its not a valid assembly... Slowly getting there though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back