Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application Crash. Monitoring the laptops memory usage and resources. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston33

MIS
Jan 9, 2005
US
Hello,

We are using a Dell Mobile Precision 5520 Laptop. Our Website Developer is using Adobe Create Cloud 2019 Programs. (Such as Premiere, PhotoShop, After Effects.) The problem occurs when the developer is using Adobe programs. When Videos are being rendered or videos/photos are being edited, the Adobe programs will hang/crash. Sometimes the whole laptop will lock up and restart. We are trying to determine whether we should purchase a high end desktop, instead of using this Laptop. (We are trying to run reports or use data to prove it is a hardware issue/memory issues, and not an Adobe CC Software issue. We have tried using Task Manager and Performance Monitor, but we find Perf. Mon. difficult to use.) We suspect a new high end desktop, with a high end graphics card, would resolve this. But we are afraid of making the purchase and finding out the issue persists. We are afraid of throwing hardware at a potential software issue. We exhausted what we could do with Dell, Adobe, and NVIDIA support. ***Is there a way to track the Hardware/Memory Usage to determine if this is a hardware/cpu/disk/memory issue? We have the times of the Adobe program crashes. We are trying to support the purchase of a new high end desktop. Can we get your advice on how to do this? Thanks in advance.

DELL MOBILE PRECISION 5520 LAPTOPS > SPECS:
-It is using a Win 10 Pro > 64 Bit OS.

-It is using an Intel Core i7 Processor, 32 GB's of RAM, and 1 500GB SSD Drive. (We manually set the Page file to be between 8GB - 10GB.)

-It is using an Intel HD Graphics 630 > Graphic Card and a NVIDIA Quardo M1200 > Graphics Card. (We set the Adobe CC programs to use the NVIDIA G. Card.)

ADOBE PROGRAMS:
-Adobe Creative Cloud 2019.

-Adobe Premiere 2019, Photoshop 2019, After Effects 2019, Media Encoder.

-Adobe support has reviewed all of the program's preferences and memory settings. (We can't use Adobe Scratch Disk Settings. There is only 1 SSD drive.)

Do you have all latest firmware updates, and drivers on the laptop? I would start there. Update those, and see if you still have the same issues.
Also, make sure you have the most up to date patches/updates for Windows 10.

Best Regards,
Scott
MSc ISM, MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

lockup and restart"?!? That wouldn't be caused by anything like high memory or high CPU usage. The Adobe tools are pretty robust and they would give error messages if some resource was running short.

Have you looked into the event logs? The next time it locks up and restarts, jot down the exact date and time, and go look to see if something got logged. It may not be real obvious, but there could be some good hints there. WindowKey-R, "eventvwr", Enter. Look under "Windows Logs" -> "Application" and "System".

If it's an older laptop, and it locks up while something big is processing, I would start to suspect heat could be the culprit. Older laptops (> 1 year) can get dust built up in the cooling airways and cause it to deal with heat less efficiently. The Adobe tools can cause a CPU/GPU to generate quite a bit of heat while working on something. The next time it happens, feel all over the laptop, top and bottom, to see if anything feels very warm. Abnormally warm.

I recently upgraded from a laptop to a desktop to run the exact same set of Adobe tools you mentioned. Plus a few more. I got a Dell XPS, with an i7 (6 cores, 12 logical processors), NVIDIA, 64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, etc, etc. The 64GB of high speed memory cost more than the XPS itself. My laptop was an i5 maxed out at 16GB RAM and it had no dedicated graphics card, so the difference was like night and day. It sounds like you have a much more robust laptop than I was moving from.

Thanks for the feedback.

We did run the latest Dell Command Updates, Microsoft Windows Updates, and NVIDIA Driver Update.

It was warm. We did clean the dust. Also, we started using a Laptop Cooling Pad.

Adobe CC Support couldn't provide us with any good log files.

I will focus on the Event Viewer as you mentioned. (We did track the times of the Adobe CC program crashes. It seems to occur when they are rendering/creating large video files.)

Thanks for the help.

The Dell laptops have a habit of shutting down on overheat (I've seen this on some models before). Your idea for a cooling pad is a good one. Have you taken the laptop apart? It may be that the main cooling fan (which is pretty small to begin with), is not working. So anytime you start anything taxing, it will over heat. I've replaced the fan twice on an old XPS-13 I have, which works great when the fan works, but shuts down the same way when the fan isn't otherwise working.
Is your cooling pad active or passive?

Best Regards,
Scott
MSc ISM, MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"I try to be nice, but sometimes my mouth doesn't cooperate.

Thanks for the follow ups.

I did remove the base cover and used air on the main cooling fan. The Cooling Pad is active. (It was running hot, but now seems better with the Cooling Fan.)

We are going to try uninstalling our Antivirus program, on just that laptop. (And use Performance Monitor.)

We did make exceptions for the Antivirus program, but we are seeing unexpected behavior. We want to rule it out. (We will ask the web site developer to be cautious with links and installing fonts for a few days.)

Thanks again for the feedback. I will post the results in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back