Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application called CATBAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksdadguy

Technical User
Mar 16, 2003
US
Has anyone ever heard of this application? It is in my startup of msconfig pointing to c:\windows\fonts\catbas.exe but the file does not exist in that directory. When I do a search for the filename, it shows up but when I try to delete it, it says that it is in use by windows. Please help!

i've googled for that file and came up with nothing. it's most likely that it's not an application that came with windows or from any application that you installed. i suggest you remove it from your start-up immediately, update your virus pattern file, re-boot in safe mode and run a full-system scan. i also suggest you run some anti-spyware/adware programs like CWShredder or Lavasoft's Adware to eliminate possible existence of any malwares, spywares and adwares in your pc.

i hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"Illegitimis non carborundum!"

Sometimes you can find the origin of a file by opening it in an editor like WordPad and go through it looking for text strings - sometimes near the beginning or near the end that give a clue.
.bh.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

Here is an example of a hijackthis log which shows problems including an exe file in c:\windows\fonts.

If the steps here ( faq608-4650 ) do not get your system clean, you can post a hijackthis log in forum 760.

-------------------------------------
It's 10 O'Clock ( somewhere! ).
Are your registry and data backed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back