Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application’s validations & normalizations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddrillich

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
US
Good Day,

I'm working these days on an internet application. One of our most difficult issues is with user input validations/applying constraints and normalization of user input.
Usually we apply the validations on the client side (JavaScript) and normalization via Oracle SQL (i.e. trimming leading spaces).

One thing I'm not clear about is where the validations/constraints rules should be specified. I think that all of them should be in the DB and then be read and translated to JavaScript for validations. About normalization – actions that don't require user confirmation (case folding, capitalization, white space normalization) should they be implemented as triggers?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan

The answer is "it depends".
It's a good idea to make validations both on client and database side, because client-side validation saves traffic and database-side prevent inputting incorrect data via other applications.

Case folding, capitalization, white space normalization and other transformations also depend on whether you need to sign or encript user data to be posted, thus it may also be required to make them on client side.

Regards, Dima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back