Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Appletalk problem with new Summit48 switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyv

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2001
US
I just added a third Summit48 to my network and I'm having a problem.

IP packets are being forwarded between ports and switches with no problem.

But, Appletalk traffic (PAP, etc.) is extremely sloooow originating on the new switch.

The 2 older switches are running extremeware 2.x and the new switch is running the latest version 4.x

I can take a Macintosh that is running just fine on the older switches, move it to the new switch, and then the problem immediately rears its ugly head.

All the switches are configured for factory defaults (i.e. it's a Layer 2 flat network with only one VLAN ("default")).

What could be wrong?

Andy Vosburgh

you need to give it a chance to cache the MAC tables. I will be slower until the MAC addresses are in memory...once in the buffer- throught put should incresase (when your switch has a packet for an address that it does not know about, the packet is broadcast out all ports. When the MAC address is already stored in memory, the packet is only Fwd:ed out the port where the destination machine is attached to.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back