Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Appletalk and Procurve problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceaserx

Technical User
Apr 14, 2008
ZA
Hi

I have a client that has a 5406 and 17 x 2520 switches. Vey straight forward setup. He has now said that the handful of Mac's they have can not communicate to their apple server that is a virtual server. The articles i read online said that appletalk and spanning tree does not work together. We only had spanning tree on the two HP trunks we created. One trunk was for an uplink and the other was for his Virtual servers box. I have since this even removed the trunks and made sure that no spanning tree was enabled but he says the appletalk still does not work.

Have any of you come accross this before or have any advise?

Are you sure they actually use Appletalk? Macs stopped using Appletalk about 6 years ago when they went to the new Unix-based OS.

That's what their IT guy is saying.

Maybe you can segregate all the appletalk onto a seperate VLAN and assign that VLAN to links that don't use spanning-tree.

Just to let you guys know that I found the solution with the help of some guys at HP.

this is the solution:

Switch# config
Switch(config)# vlan <vid>
Switch(vlan<vid>)# protocol appletalk
Switch(vlan<vid>proto)# protocol arp
Switch(vlan<vid>proto)# protocol ipv4
Switch(vlan<vid>proto)# exit
Switch(config)# wri mem

and it works with Spanning tree on a trunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back