Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applet works in Netscape not in MS Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelmaus

MIS
Feb 20, 2001
US
I am new to Java. While I can get applets to run from an HTML page, some things don't always work in IE.

Using the Forte Community Edition version 2.0, I create a new project and applet.

I crete a JPanel and a JButton.

Compile. It creates the HTML file.

I open the file inside Forte or in Netscape, all looks fine.

I open the file in MS Internet Explorer I get a gray box.

What am I doing wrong?

Do you have the Java plugin installed on your machine?

Microsoft is a quintessential pain in that they dont readily support Suns Java Runtime but use their own JRE which basically is bad. :)

get the java plugin from and also get the HTML converter program because you will need to convert your HTML with special tags in order to invoke the plugin.

Thank you, for your prompt response. The converter solved the issue with one of the Java applets I wrote. This one was written without the GUI Editor. I have several of these type of applets so this is a big win.

Yesterday, I started using the the Swingset GUI Editor to create applets. They had the prblem described in my orignial post. When I run them through the converter they don't run even in Netscape.

I have the latest plug-in and in the options for IE I have unchecked all the Microsoft VM settings.

I will continue to look in the sun site. There is a lot of information to go over on their site.

Hmm. Ive never used those programs but theres 1 thing you might check. I use JBuilder and they include some of their own user interface classes that you can use to build applets with, and they will work fine using JBuilder to execute them but they will not come up on the browser unless you add those classes to your classpath.

Check and make sure that all of the classes that it is creating are standard java/swing classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back