Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apple Xserve 2009 only one CPU working

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHat_2015

Technical User
Nov 25, 2016
AU
I couldn't find anywhere for Apple servers probably because there are none now.
I have a dual quad core Xserve 2009 which is working as a single processor doe to there being no power on CPU B as indicated by mainboard LEDs. I have Googled and Googled but I can't find where to look for the lack of CPU B power.
[ponder]

I know very little about the Sxerve but did stumble upon a guy who was able to disable a CPU in the open firmware with the following:

go into open firmware (hold down command-option-o-f)
setenv boot-args cpus=1
mac-boot

Here is a link to the article I found it in. I would assume changing the 1 to a 2 will allow you to enable it back to two CPUs. You may want to poke around some more to double check that assumption but at least you have a direction to go.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Intel Xserves don't have open firmware.
Thank you

Just so you can see where I got the above from: Forgot that the g4 wasnt in all Xserves, my bad.

This may be the only option for getting into the EFI environment and see what they have to explore:

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back