Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apple OS 9 & OS X as Ms Exchange clients - opinions ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteH2

MIS
Feb 26, 2002
GB
Dear all,

I'm currently investigating the practicality of giving two Apple Mac users an Exchange Clients for calendar / email / Scheduling activities.

Not using either Exchange or Apple Macs are not an option

So if you could help, please have a look and answer some queries below.

What experiences have you had with which client (Outlook / Outlook express / Entourage / OWA) ?
How practical is it ?
How reliable is it ?
Does it work on both Mac OS 9 and OS X ?
What problems have you encountered with it ?

Thanks in advance

Pete...

I've got 2 clients with OS9 & Office 2001. They get email fine, but appointments don't work. Setup can be a nuisance, but it eventually works. Appears to be as reliable/stable as anything else on the Mac, which is not all that stable in my opinion. If I recall, users also do not have PST functionality.

Thought about going to OS10.2 & OfficeX/Entourage, but apparently Entourage calendaring still doesn't work right with Exchange server. I'm told that there's some sort of update to Entourage to happen sometime this year. I'll reconsider my purchase at that time.

entourage and express won't do it. Outlook 2001 is easy to config.

Macs are very stable in our place - but it depends on the installs...

Thanks for all your help.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, the answer seems to be: Outlook for OS9 and get the installation right. For OS X, wait a year or so for the release and the ubiqutous fixes.

Ta muchly

Pete...

And as soon as I said I wanted to wait for the supposed "update" to Entourage, management says buy it now.

As for my setup problems, everything is very straightforward. It just didn't work the first time for either machine. The exact same settings had to be typed one or more times.

Hi, just my two cents worth,

I have 22 Macintoshes in network, I use the outlook 8.5.2 (Outlook 2001) free download from MS, installed it, setup the clients ( I did have to use a FQDN for the Exchange server name), and my users are able to calendar, schedule meetings with Windows users, access public folders, and basically do everything a Windows Exchange user does. There are some minor glitches here and there admittedly, but not many.

Right now, I have a couple of endusers in OSX, any they prefer to use the OWA client to access email.

I said nothing here that is new, just another (sucess?), story.

Wyz

Our Mac users go with Outlook Web Access.
Works good....no issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back