Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

apple Mac cannot see servers on our network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

djameson

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2001
GB
Hi,
we're wanting to join an imac to our windows 2000 domain (don't ask...) but it can't see any servers to log on to. It picked up an IP address etc without trouble from DHCP and it's pinging everything in sight but it can't see any servers. Is this a WINS issue and/or are there any services we need to enable on the DC??

Many thanks (you'll help me make a pretty young web designer very happy) ;-)

Dave.

I think you have to create MAC VOLUMES on your 2K/NT servers. MACs can't join domain but they can share data on Windows 2000/NT servers. First you have to create MAC VOlumes. Then you can use the IP address of the server to connect through the MAC. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

yes, you have to first install the service for Macintosh sharing (in the network tools or network options of windows install) and then share a folder.

I have done this MANY times, and while this works, you re still very limited by the slow way Macs handle IP protocol. If you really want performance, try DAVE ( It s not free, but it is extremly performant. It creates pure IP file sharing with netbios (very fun to see the Mac appear in the network neibourghood) and is really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back