Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applause for a MoBo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pattons

Technical User
Apr 24, 2002
US
Hey Gang, this isn't really a technical issue but...My new system is built on an Asus P4S333 board, and I just have to say, although it's only the first PC I've built, it's really got to be an expanders' dream.I guess I should tell that the reason I was even prompted to build a system is that after purchasing a Gateway(the first 'puter I've ever owned at that), the sheer inability to upgrade the motherboard beyond 2 PCI slots was maddening.
So, I started looking for other store bought computers, and most of them really seemed to suffer the same problem. Not to mention the fact that they are all suffering from a case of severe cost bloating. I bought a few manuals to help me, because I had decided to build one when the warranty on the Gateway ran out. Just some basic principles to get myself on track for doing something I thought would be incredibly difficult to do.
Well, it turned out I was wrong. I'm not saying that I grasp all the principles behind the deepest inner workings of the machine, but the basic device interfaces were relatively easy to grasp. Anyway, it's all up and running; and quite well I might add. It's the Asus board, running a P4 1.6 cpu, overclocked to 1.8 GHz, and the sytem bus also overclocked at 448 MHz. An ECS graphics card, based on an SiS chip with 64 MB of RAM and VR gaming device support,built in MPEG-2 and DVD decoder and a TV out port as well.A basic Linksys 10/100 NIC, ACEEX 56k V.92 modem to run fax applications, DVD, CD-RW, and floppy drives, with a bay left open for a 6 in 1 memory card reader(next purchase).
What I like about this board so much is the expandability and the bundled software, and the system reporter that scans over the whole process of POST and boot. surprisingly, I never had any problems, the first time I turned it on, it POSTed and booted up. That was a relief, ya know? First shot, and swish!!! Well, that's not exactly true, I did have to partition and format the drive over, since the new board wouldn't read the old boards files. The software bundle is great though too. It has an app called PC Probe, which keeps a constant eye on cpu temp, mobo temp, fan RPM, available disk and RAM space, current voltage usage,+12v, +5v, 3.3v, core v,and it records and logs all these actions at the same time too!! There's an auto BIOS update that connects to the Asus site and can download the newest BIOS updates on its own, or on prompt. You can ditch the Asus boot logo, and load your own. PC-cillin 2001 antivirus software, and a really excellent driver and applicatuon to take advantage of the on-board Dolby 5.1 6 channel digital sound.
Anyway, I think what I was saying before I started raving was this, if you are looking for a board to build the finest P4 system you can, with max expandability, apps and utilities galore, and an overall satisfaction rate in the stratosphere, I highly recommend the Asus P4S333 board.Again, it's only the first system I've built, but it sure is a beaut. Does anyone else have an experience with this board, good or bad? And if you just feel like telling me any tips or criticisms, I would like to hear them. Thanks for listening to me pat myself on the back everybody, hope to hear from ya.

Pattons
[bravo]
[2thumbsup]
[cheers]
Man, I love this site

The newest breed of 333Mhz chipsets are certainly a quantuum leap in terms of performance, reliability and meeting the "roll your own" needs!

It's difficult to pick out any one board from the latest crop which stands out by any significant amount, but ASUS have always made quality components.

Team it up with a good case, like the AOpen H600A or any of the Lian-Li or Coolermaster range, and you've got a base PC that'll last a very long time.

Enjoy your new Rig! CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Nice work Pattons! It certainly is a fine feeling to put everything together, boot it up and have it ROCK!!! We use many Asus boards in our builds for customers. MSI and Gigabyte also make some great products. The live Bios update utilities that come with the MSI boards come in handy.
Enjoy your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back