Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Appending auto records from a form to a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDaly

Technical User
Aug 5, 2004
IE
I am desiging an access form with auto records, such as an auto number (transaction number), an auto date (today's date), and fields that are populated with sums of other fields, ie one field divided by another.

I am then trying to append these records to a table but when I append it the records that update automatically come accross as blank.

Is there any way to append this information to the table? The form is a front end screen to input transaction information which then populates a transaction table.

I hope this makes sense!!

Many thanks,

Claire

I am desiging an access form with auto records, such as an auto number (transaction number), an auto date (today's date), and fields that are populated with sums of other fields, ie one field divided by another.

First I think ( HOPE ) you mean FIELDS not records here.

Second WHY on earth would you be storing calculated values into fields in the table ? - This is Bad practice of nearly the very worst kind.

Is the Form bound to the table or are you having to write the record explicitly ?

WHERE are this AutoNumber and Date default values being set ?
Access will allow you to set the default value in a field withing a table and set a field data type to AutoNumber

Access will also allow you to set the default value of a Control on a form. Just because Access allows it does not make it a good idea.

G LS
spsinkNOJUNK@yahoo.co.uk
Remove the NOJUNK to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back